Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

External Battery Pack

This is a discussion on External Battery Pack within the Technical forums, part of the miniPlayer M6 / SL category; Has anyone determined what exactly the different voltages are for on the battery pack?...

  1. #1
    Valued Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    External Battery Pack

    Has anyone determined what exactly the different voltages are for on the battery pack?


  2. #2
    Valued Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post
    Has anyone determined what exactly the different voltages are for on the battery pack?

    one is to charge the set, one is to power the set.

  3. #3
    marco_sire
    Guest
    the meizu supports OTG (on-the-go??), right?

    with this device the meizu m6 becomes an external hard drive??

    I mean: if I connect my camrea to this device, and connect the M6 to this device as well, I can move my photos from my camera to the M6??

  4. #4
    Valued Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marco_sire View Post
    the meizu supports OTG (on-the-go??), right?
    Will do.

    Quote Originally Posted by marco_sire View Post
    with this device the meizu m6 becomes an external hard drive??
    I mean: if I connect my camrea to this device, and connect the M6 to this device as well, I can move my photos from my camera to the M6??
    You can use it as a flash memory if you want to, for OTG have to wait... it will be available via firmware upgrade.

  5. #5
    marco_sire
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelo1251 View Post
    You can use it as a flash memory if you want to, for OTG have to wait... it will be available via firmware upgrade.
    what do you mean with: use it as flash memory?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marco_sire View Post
    what do you mean with: use it as flash memory?
    i think he mean connect the m6 to the computer..use like a thumb drive.

  7. #7
    marco_sire
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    i think he mean connect the m6 to the computer..use like a thumb drive.
    ow ok. that's not where I want to use it for . I would like to use the M6 as an external drive when I am on holiday and I do not have the computer with me.

    so when a new firmware is available and the OTG is supported in that firmware, the device mentioned in the first post, has to be used to make the M6 and external drive?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marco_sire View Post
    so when a new firmware is available and the OTG is supported in that firmware, the device mentioned in the first post, has to be used to make the M6 and external drive?
    hmm..we all do not know if the new coming firmware will support the OTG. But if the new firmware allows it, then you can tranfer your photos to your m6 without the computer.
    Last edited by Rhino; 11-20-2006 at 11:17 AM.

  9. #9
    ced
    Guest
    when OTG will be available in the firmware, do we have to use the battery pack? or can we plug directly a camera to the meizu? (via a normal mini USB cable)

  10. #10
    Valued Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ced View Post
    when OTG will be available in the firmware, do we have to use the battery pack? or can we plug directly a camera to the meizu? (via a normal mini USB cable)
    Have to use the battery pack for OTG functionallity

  11. #11
    froes
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelo1251 View Post
    You can use it as a flash memory if you want to, for OTG have to wait... it will be available via firmware upgrade.
    Are you shure? It requires a different USB chip.

    Shine On, Frank

  12. #12
    froes
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelo1251 View Post
    Have to use the battery pack for OTG functionallity
    I'm really confused now. What has the battery pack to do in terms of USB OTG?

    USB OTG meas to that a device can act as an USB host (master) and can be connected to another USB device to exchange data with it beeing controlled by the host.

    My intension would be to connect a portable USB hard disk to the Meizu and play music or video from the hard disk or watch images beeing stored on the hard disk.

    My Samsung YP-T8Z only can pull data from an external USB device but can not play or display it directly.

    Shine On, Frank

  13. #13
    Valued Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    536
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Im a bit confused too, i do have a external battery and seems to me there's only a place for batteries... no chips in there. Im also trying to figure out what are those little holes for ?(looks like a small speaker output).

    I think the external battery is needed just for the type of connector (There's a normal usb port on it) and since miniplayer has a miniUSB you cannot plug a flash memory or cameras due to plug's size.

  14. #14
    Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I find it strange that in external battery case there is normal usb input (or what is it called?) on the side, I presume this is the one to recharce the batteries inside. I have 4 "usb - usb mini" cables, but none "usb - usb". Anyone got explanation for this? Why isn't it "usb -usb mini" so batteries in the pack could be recharced with the cable that came with miniplayer?

  15. #15
    Steve
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by qscq View Post
    I find it strange that in external battery case there is normal usb input (or what is it called?) on the side, I presume this is the one to recharce the batteries inside. I have 4 "usb - usb mini" cables, but none "usb - usb". Anyone got explanation for this? Why isn't it "usb -usb mini" so batteries in the pack could be recharced with the cable that came with miniplayer?
    The regular USB port on the battery pack is for the future functionality of the M6/battery pack USB HOST functionality. There are probably two reasons the battery pack are necessary. One is because as a USB host it is convenient to have a full-sized port, and the other is that, as a HOST, the Meizu will have to provide power, so instead of draining the M6's battery, it will use the battery packs power. The full-size USB port on the battery pack has nothing to do with charging the batteries inside of it.

  16. #16
    Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The regular USB port on the battery pack is for the future functionality of the M6/battery pack USB HOST functionality. There are probably two reasons the battery pack are necessary. One is because as a USB host it is convenient to have a full-sized port, and the other is that, as a HOST, the Meizu will have to provide power, so instead of draining the M6's battery, it will use the battery packs power. The full-size USB port on the battery pack has nothing to do with charging the batteries inside of it.
    There is mini USB output to recharce miniplayer, but also on the side there is regular USB input. I thought if you buy recharcable batteries to patterypack, you could recharce them through computers regular usb port to pattery packs regular usb port.
    Last edited by qscq; 11-30-2006 at 01:47 AM.

  17. #17
    Steve
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by qscq View Post
    There is mini USB output to recharce miniplayer, but also on the side there is regular USB input. I thought if you buy recharcable batteries to patterypack, you could recharce them through computers regular usb port to pattery packs regular usb port.
    No, I don't think so. To me, it would not make much sense to use rechargables in the battery pack, that's just moving the limitation from one device to another device. I believe the battery pack is intended to use Alkaline cells. The reason is that Alkaline cells have a shelf life measured in years (like 7+ years) so, you know that when you need the battery pack, it will be available. Rechargable batteries, such as NiMH only retain their charge for a few weeks, so there is good chance that when you depend on the battery pack, they will already be self-discharged. Since the purpose of the portable battery pack is to provide a source of charge only occasionally when a computer or regular outlet isn't available, there is no problem using Alkalines. Of course, you would not use the portable charger as the regular method to charge the M6 all the time, that wouldn't make much sense either, since you would either always be buying Alkalines, or always charging the charger.

  18. #18
    Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    No, I don't think so. To me, it would not make much sense to use rechargables in the battery pack, that's just moving the limitation from one device to another device. I believe the battery pack is intended to use Alkaline cells. The reason is that Alkaline cells have a shelf life measured in years (like 7+ years) so, you know that when you need the battery pack, it will be available. Rechargable batteries, such as NiMH only retain their charge for a few weeks, so there is good chance that when you depend on the battery pack, they will already be self-discharged. Since the purpose of the portable battery pack is to provide a source of charge only occasionally when a computer or regular outlet isn't available, there is no problem using Alkalines. Of course, you would not use the portable charger as the regular method to charge the M6 all the time, that wouldn't make much sense either, since you would either always be buying Alkalines, or always charging the charger.
    ... I don't know what you are trying to say with your last sentence. Of course I charge the player with PC's USB port as often I can. But I though there would a possibility to use rechargable AA batteries in pattery pack that you could charge through USB, as an result you wouldn't have to buy AA batteries everytime you go for a week's travel. Well, that was just my fantasy I presume.

  19. #19
    Steve
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by qscq View Post
    ... I don't know what you are trying to say with your last sentence. Of course I charge the player with PC's USB port as often I can. But I though there would a possibility to use rechargable AA batteries in pattery pack that you could charge through USB, as an result you wouldn't have to buy AA batteries everytime you go for a week's travel. Well, that was just my fantasy I presume.
    Maybe, but I don't think so. I think the full-size USB port on the battery pack is for the future USB HOST function, but I could be wrong.

    The thing is, how often do you go someplace that has no access to electricity for a week, unless it's in the mountains or something? Even in a week NiMH will lose some charge by themselves, whereas with Alkalines you wouldn't have to worry about it. You would probably be able to get 2->3 full charges on a set of Alkalines, i'm not sure about NiMH.

  20. #20
    Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not sure I'd make use of this, but for the price I may just get one anyone.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Eng/Ger/Hun Resource Pack
    By lacko in forum Modifications and Skins
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 05:52 PM
  2. Vista Wallpaper Pack
    By dgk in forum Video and Imaging
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 10:24 PM
  3. Is the M3 external casing going to be skinable?
    By madman in forum music card M3
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 12:34 AM
  4. Vista Wallpaper Pack for Meizu M6 miniPlayer
    By Err0r in forum Video and Imaging
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
  5. Battery Indicator
    By flipside in forum Technical
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 02:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •